. . . well, not totally fixed. But he's on his way.
Cue the "Hallelujah Chorus."
I went out today to see the Boy for the first time in two weeks, fully expecting to see a herd-bound, skinny critter with horrible feet (it has been so wet while we were gone, I was fully expecting the feet to go squoosh).
I did find a pony rather on the thin side. Ribs. :( So upping his grain and adding rice bran and maybe rice bran oil or dac oil if he doesn't gain weight soon. WHY he is skinny when all the other ponies are fat as pigs is another question. I'm going to get his teeth done first and we'll go from there.
I also found a pony who did not want to leave his buddies. Fortunately he's very non-dramatic about it--his "I don't want to" consists mostly of planting his feet, sticking his head in the air, and glaring at me down his nose. Lol. Once we get out of the pasture, he merrily marches away to the barn. Go figure.
BUT I did not find a pony with horrible feet! Still tender, but much improved over what he was two weeks ago. He's still short-strided on the gravel and hard barn aisle, but much much much better. Growing wall like nobody's business, so it's about time for a trim, but not sore. YAY!!! And this is with very soggy nasty wet weather all the time I was gone! So happy. Maybe we will make it barefoot after all! :)
And I tried all my tack on and it fits!! It'll fit even better once he gains some weight and some topline, but as I plan on that happening soon, I wouldn't want anything smaller. I even hopped on to ride for about 30 seconds before hopping off because a rain shower was coming through and we were a long way from the covered arena.
Will get pictures soon. :)
That's great about his feet!!!
ReplyDeleteDo they get fed separately in the pasture?
They get semi-separate hay (lots of separate piles) during the winter, but all grain/etc. is my responsibility. There's a TON of grass right now, which is why most of them are fat. Maybe he's just not used to eating just grass yet; maybe it's a teeth/ulcer/whatever thing. He vacuums up his grain so I don't think it's an ulcer. We'll see...
ReplyDeleteGlad he's improved!
ReplyDeleteYay! It's great that he seems to be going in the right direction :-)
ReplyDelete