Thursday, January 23, 2014

Defender 1680D High Neck Turnout Sheet Review

So back in the beginning of December River got a new blanket. It was Defender brand--a brand I'd never heard of--and thus I promised a review when I learned how they'd wear! So, I bring you:

Defender 1680D High Neck Turnout Sheet Review!

 

How it looked when I got it!

I chose this blanket because:
  • It was cheap! I think I paid around $70-$80 dollars for it on State Line Tack! I didn't know how much abuse River would put into it and didn't want to buy an expensive blanket only to have him destroy it in a few weeks.
  • It was one of only a few 1680-denier turnout sheets I could find. With a horse on 24/7 turnout, toughness is important!
  • It has shoulder gussets and is nylon lined to help reduce rubbing
  • Has all the other important things: clips to attach a hood if needed, belly straps, leg straps, removable tail flap, open front snap closure, and a fleece wither.
  • I liked the idea of the higher neck to help keep River dry.
  • The color contrast was nice ;)
So River's been wearing it most of the time (usually with a liner) for going on two months now, and this is what I think so far:
  • Great: The material and seams are holding up GREAT. I wasn't sure what to expect for the price, but it doesn't have so much as a scratch, even with the transition between barns and the Mighty Evil Donkey at River's last barn.
  • Good: It fits big, but isn't really a high-neck--more of what I've seen called a "Euro cut," with extra drop on the sides and a higher neck. I like this, but some people might not. I ordered down a size for River and am happy with the fit.
  • Also Good: It's super waterproof! We'll have to see how it does with re-waterproofing, though...
  • Bad: The snaps and hardware don't seem to be the best quality. I replaced the top front snap within a week. The other hardware is holding up so far, though. 
Overall: 4/5 stars
 
Overall I'm happy with this blanket--for the price, I really don't think it can be beaten. Depending on how it re-waterproofs, though, I might choose a different option for the midweight I hope to get him for next winter (these cold snaps have me a bit worried!). And if you don't like to replace snaps, you won't want it. But, if you're looking for a cheap blanket with good coverage and a tough exterior, you might want to look into this blanket!

How it looks now!

No comments:

Post a Comment