Don't know where the pro pictures are, but my friend put hers on Facebook so I stole them (with permission) and here you are! The long-awaited ACTHA run-down! It is also super long so cheers to you if you read the whole thing!
Briefing started at 9 so I got there at 8:30 to sign in and get my number. There were a ton of trailers; I really think we had more people from off-site come than folks from the barn! It was impressive! I walked up, got my number, chatted with folks, ran back to the car (planning to pull River into a stall) and promptly discovered both barns were full of off-site horses. Well then. At least his pasture was close. So I went up for pre-ride briefing!
That went uneventfully and in the process my friend S (who used to board with us at the old barn, and moved to our current barn shortly after we did) showed up! So now we had riding buddies I (and River) knew! We ran back down to the barn afterward. S, since her parents came along to "crew" for her, already had a tacked-up and groomed horse; I ran out, caught River, and brought him in with 15 minutes to groom and tack up and be up at the start point. Eeeks. But he was clean, so it didn't take long, and soon we were on our way up to the XC field, where we were starting!
![]() |
| S on the paint, me on the ginormous bay creature (as always ;) |
![]() |
| We are the best at looking awkward...but look how quiet! |
![]() |
| Me on far left, then S and Chico, then our two other riding buddies |
We wound out through the woods, through a pretty tight brushy trail, and into a big partly-overgrown meadow on the neighbor's property. None of us had been out here before and River was a bit nervous, so part way out our friends took the lead. They apologized in advance in case their horses were too fast...
But not to worry! River proved he can keep up with any gaited horse! (Goose. I always knew he walked fast, but really?!)
We circled the whole new field and came back onto our property. Then we went up the hill and came to our first obstacle!
I should clarify first that ACTHA (American Competitive Trail Horse Association) rides are six miles long, with at least six timed obstacles. Both you and the horse start with 10 points at each obstacle (for a possible total of 20 points per obstacle) and then points are deducted if you don't meet the predetermined criteria. Ideally, of course, you keep your 20 points, and gain more if you do really well! I really like this system because even a green horse can do well if he/she has a good rider, and a green rider can do well with a good horse, since you and the horse are judged separately. In addition, you have a trot-out at the end to check lameness and general attitude (not a full vetting, but still).
Anyway our first obstacle was a sort of "keyhole" obstacle where we went off-trail and maneuvered around a circular set of logs in the woods, keeping the logs on our right side and avoiding little holes and whatnot that had been pre-marked. I'm really not sure what "official" obstacle it was based on, haha, but it was a fun and easy starter obstacle. River did fantastic as always (fortunately he is used to me asking him to do stupid things like wander off trail) and we got both 10's. :)
| Cute Monster to break up huge text block! |
There was one super-steep and slippery stretch where I dismounted and led him. I was glad I did because he was sliding pretty badly and I wouldn't have felt safe on top. As it was he was very decent and careful about it and we made it to the bottom just fine. He learned to tuck his feet under and did a pretty good trail-horse impersonation though! I was super proud of him on this event because not once did he rush downhill on the forehand! He always tried hard to tuck his haunches, get his hind legs under him, and balance himself! GOOD BOY!!
After our first loop across the mountain we reached our second obstacle! This one was a drag obstacle of a big pipe we had to drag from one jump standard to another. It was also the one I was most uncertain of because we have never dragged anything, ever. I figured it would be good if I just stayed on. ;)
The first rider in our group (wife of the Rocky Mountain Horse couple) did fine. Her horse was really amazing, as was she--you could tell they'd practiced a lot and had a wonderful connection! Really a beautiful pair. The second Rocky Mountain though, was quite unsure from the beginning--she wasn't sure about the pipe, wasn't sure about the jump standard--he managed to get her up to it and to start dragging the pipe, but then she glanced sideways and saw the pipe FOLLOWING her and that was the end of that! ;)
S and Chico had a similar go of it and then it was my turn. River had been very restless so we'd been doing loops in the field waiting. He went straight up to the jump standard and stood for me to get the rope. I started to drag it one-handed but then realized, (a) it was way heavier than it looked; and (b) Riv has to have that direct rein. He does not neck-rein at all. So I had to put my drag hand on the reins. He flinched just a little when that caused the rope to brush his hindquarters, but I talked him through and he kept going straight to the next jump standard, and stood for me to hook up the rope!
SO SO SO PROUD!!!!!! I praised him up and down and told him he was THE MOST WONDERFUL horse in the world!! (because, isn't he?!) And as a bonus we got 20+ points for that obstacle. :)
| Another totally random picture of The Most Wonderful Horse |
Then we stopped because S's horse had lost a boot so she had to put it back on. That accomplished, she tried to get back on, but her (rather roundish, hehe) horse had a slippery saddle that almost came all the way off. So after much fussing with that (and another group catching up!) I dismounted and helped fix her saddle with a tighter cinch, and then got back on (from the ground, which is impressive when you're just over 5 foot and your horse is 16hh) and we continued. One of our friends' horse had gotten a huge rock stuck in her shoe anyway, so the break was good.
We kept going and came down and across the far pastures toward our next obstacle--the dreaded COWS!
Fortunately Riv has been around the cows quite a lot but for some reason these were still a bit spooky. Perhaps it was because they were in a panel that jutted out from the main fence. Perhaps it was the roping dummy-cow that was next to the fence. I don't know. Anyway we waited and went last...
![]() |
| Forgive my obvious distraction--he was being very restless! Also. My stirrups are too short. No wonder my knees hurt! |
Eighteen points for us there! We took the lead again heading down to the first (un-judged) creek crossing. It was actually pretty deep--close to his belly if not up to it--and moving a little swiftly. Not dangerous, but not an easy crossing. We tried to lead across the water but Riv was having no part of that! He made a good try and then S and Chico led us across--with a lead, he went quite cheerfully and seemed to "get" what water crossing meant. :) We went across the lesson horse pasture and across the road (no problems there) and into the pastures across the street. By now I could tell he was getting a little tired, but he still marched along cheerfully and I took every opportunity to let him munch a little or drink. He still refuses to drink on-trail, but he nibbled on grass quite frequently, so that at least was good.
We did the second creek crossing just fine, but with a little stumble in the middle that splashed the photographer! Oops! Haha! Seventeen points for that--not quite sure of why the lower marks but oh well. I was proud of him seeing as it was only his second creek crossing and this time through he really "attacked" the water! He saw it and wanted at it! Good boy! :)
Up and through a bunch of fields, munching on the tall grass, under the telephone wires we went. Nice footing and hilly but not too steep riding. We were making good time, putting some space between us and the people behind us, and also keeping an eye on the clouds as it was starting to look like rain. We came down to our last obstacle--a jump. A hay-bale jump, to be precise. Which means, a jump with width. I've trotted River over little X's without any big deal, but never over anything with width!
We took it second to last and it was a mess. Ha! But we went over! He trotted up, tried to slip out to the left, and I corrected. So then he broke to a walk, which I was fine with--I expected him just to step over. Unfortunately he did not just step over--he LAUNCHED himself and besides having a little bit of a forward seat I was totally unprepared! So we were a disaster over that, haha, but we did go over and I was quite proud of his try and told him so. We only got 5 points on that and I felt it was a little mis-judged--he only got two points which he would've gotten for a run out as long as we exited through the cones. But oh well. It was amusing and nobody was hurt! :)
Then back across the road! After we convinced our friends that the big rock wasn't going to eat them. ;)
![]() |
| Riv is unconcerned by rocks. ;) |
We were invited to ride in another ACTHA event today but had to say no because Riv developed a bit of hoof cracks a couple weeks after the ride. Unrelated to the ride but still don't want to stress the footsies. But we definitely want to try again! With more practice, this time! :) I think we just may have found our niche!
Coming up: Things I would do differently next time!









Sounds like a lot of fun, I wish we had something like that around here!
ReplyDeleteIt was a blast! Wonderful people and just a really nice, low-key, FUN competition!
DeleteThis post had me grinning from ear to ear! What a good boy River is. You've done such a great job with him, and I look forward to reading about all of your adventures together! And yup, those Rocky Mountain horses are pretty good on the trail! ;)
ReplyDeleteHe is the bestest bestest ever! Haha! And those Rocky Mountain horses? I WANT! Surely he'll need a buddy when I graduate...? Lol! ;)
Delete