Friday, February 8, 2013

Unscheduled Dismount!

Sooo I hadn't fallen for almost a year, even on my skitzy, crazy babies.  Famous last words.  Haha!

Rode Fringe for my lesson on Tuesday because she needs the work, needs to start and continue jumping, and generally manages to scare everyone else off of riding her.  Besides Coach, of course; but Coach has two project horses plus her own two to try to keep in work, plus working outside the barn, so she doesn't have much time for my girls.  ;) 

She was being super skittery, tried to bolt two or three times on me while we were up in the jump arena, and wouldn't settle despite a lot of circling.  So we walked down to the regular (and smaller) arena and for the first bit in there she was fine.  Then Coach raised her arm.  Oh the horror!  Zooom goes Fringe, however I stayed on and then we worked on raising our arms! She kept trying to get fast but eventually settled and we did walk/trot/canter and some 12-18" jumps and she was really good.  Tried to bolt again once when she tripped slightly on the jump, but nothing major.

Then...we were trotting.  And another instructor was coming back from a trail ride with her lesson kid annd...they. trotted. past. us.  Okay they picked up the trot heading toward us, not the best thing to do.  I saw it coming, remembered that Fringe spooks and runs like all the fiends are after her whenever other horses are running in the pasture, and had time only to think Oh SHOOT! before she bolted.

I stayed on a while.  At least it felt like a while.  I remember being afraid she'd head for the 2' jump set up on the outside track; then she dove inside and I was afraid she'd slip and fall on the grass center; then I lost my seat and balance and thought, rather sadly, I'm going off.  And I did.  Haha!

Didn't hurt myself though.  Got back on and we did walk/trot/canter again and I'm not even sore this morning.  Other instructor apologized and all is good.  :)  It was part my fault for not turning her in to the rail or doing a one-rein stop anyway.  Maybe a very small part, but I could've helped it more than I did.  Anyway I'm not at all sore so it was the best fall I've had.  Yay me. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment