Rode Brandi on Monday. She was overall quite good, though it becomes even more obvious that she really prefers the left lead. We had one right-lead canter in the whole hour we rode (and we stopped on that note as a walk/stop break is a big reward for her). Left lead, though, she picked up right away every time.
We worked on sustaining gait. She has a million and twenty-nine evasions but they're all mostly variations on a theme (I will bob my head! I will throw my head around like a ninny! I will wiggle around like a worm! I will bob my head, throw my head around like a ninny, wiggle, and dive into the center ALL at the same time!), and not too bad to ride. I just brought the jumping crop this time but next time I think I'll bring the dressage whip and really work on moving off fairly light cues. Right now I have to kick pretty good from time to time to get/keep her going, and I don't like that. I do think she will make a great kids' horse someday--she has just that touch of stubborn and smart I like to see for kids, and she's not very spooky even though she's so young and inexperienced--so I don't want to get her too sharp off the leg, but she's got to be better than she is.
Funny girl has already learned where the gate is, and that center = stop (not in my book, but when she's been ridden by others), and after I stopped once to get a drink, she offered to stand at my water bottle every time we passed it on the rail! Haha goose.
But we did get a nice sustained left-lead canter, and that one right-lead canter for a few strides. I think groundwork is in order to teach her to move off the leg, so I can make it easier for her to figure out what lead to take. As soon as I get out of school I want to set aside all Friday afternoon as "groundwork day" for everyone. I'll ride after work on the other days, but that way everybody will get the groundwork they need!
She sounds really cute. The head wiggly-ness and the diving in and the not moving off leg are all connected. It is all lack of forward from leg. The lead is probably a combination of crookedness in her, lack of forward and maybe even some of your right handedness( you are right handed right?:)
ReplyDelete