Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Good News, Bad News

Went out today hoping for a long trail hike with the Bud and found...

...a pony with a sore foot again.

GAH. He's been fine for the better part of a week now!

Poulticed it all up (by myself, I'm proud!) and vet coming out tomorrow. Hopefully we get this thing licked!

On better news, I had lunch with the Coach today. Ahhhh I've missed her!! So happy to catch up!! Now I have homework for before-I-have-a-lesson, too. Namely, getting on the Buddy again (trying to get there, thought I'd be back on by the end of this week but it looks like not) and working on the walk-trot-canter-stop-back up basics till they're fairly smooth. I love that she'll coach me "from afar" till I've got those basics at least in progress, and that she trusts me to be able to get the basics on my own. She's the best. ;)

Annnd the Buddy LIKES BEET PULP!!!! YAY!!! I finally got to the feed store today and got him some, and he trucked right into it when I gave it to him. Though he still seems to have a philosophical objection to finishing all his grain in one setting...ha. I'm getting his teeth done as soon as I can find a good dentist in the area, and with that and the new feed, maybe we can really start getting some weight on him.

5 comments:

  1. I loooooooooooove beet pulp!! When my horse came to me really skinny, I started feeding it soaked-make sure you soak it!-twice a day..works wonders.
    Just make sure you soak it in HOT water for about thirty minutes, if you don't soak it it could be too sharp and get caught/choke the horse. Not fun. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I've heard--he's a bit picky and I was worried he wouldn't like it because it would be damp, but I guess it's okay. ;)

      Delete
  2. I agree, beet pulp is da bomb!
    Are you putting anything on your boy's feet? I had 3 different farriers recommend Durasole for toughening up hooves. It also doubles as a white line and thrush treatment-the formula is similar to Thrush Buster, but you get a lot more product for less (about $12 on Jeffers Equine.) I had great success with it. I wouldn't use it close to the abscess, as you want that to drain, but you can paint it on the underside of his hoof around it, and on his other 3 feet of course. It's used on the soles and frog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm--heard of it but haven't used it. I might try it out, as he's had some bruising going on too (even before I pulled his shoes, so it's not just barefoot, but still...). Thanks for the idea!

      Delete
  3. Hope he gets to feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete