Saturday, August 24, 2013

Insanely Proud of My Boy

A friend texted this afternoon and asked if we could go out on the trails today since she was bringing her horse over to ride and of course I said yes! Since River's feet were doing great today, I figured might as well take him out.

It was his first "real" trail ride that I know of and he was just about perfect. Led the whole way, basically on the buckle, climbed some crazy hills, thwacked through some crazy brush, and he was amazing. By the end, he was even figuring out how to tuck his hiney under him, slow down, and actually use himself coming down hills! Yay! Sheesh this horse is like perfect. If only his body weren't broken! But really who cares...I am SO so so proud of him, I could just about burst. :) Hosed him off, let him sit under the fans, fed, gave carrots and hugs and scritches, fly spray, and turned him out. He's going to be a bit sore tomorrow I bet!

Also got his teeth done yesterday and it helped tremendously with his happiness with the bit. He was much much less fussy with the bit today. Yay again!

Do I have pictures... No.  -_-  and I brought my camera to the barn (my phone takes awful pictures) but I forgot it. Ugh. But never fear, we shall do it again and I will take photos!!

Need a breastplate to keep the saddle from sliding back to never-never land, and my girth is a wee bit too big--when we get those pieces fixed up, I think we can be on to regular work and starting to build his muscles back up. :)

2 comments: