Tuesday, November 5, 2013

In Which We Are Wimps

and that is why there is so little blogging!

Actually I had a great horsey weekend, went on Friday afternoon and audited a clinic/series of private lessons by a Mary-Wanless-certified dressage teacher nearby, at the invitation of a woman who boards her retiree at my barn. Liked the instructor a lot and when I get the money (har har, and steal somebody's dressage saddle) I'd like to take a lesson from her. Also the barn folks were super nice, which I appreciated hugely since I wasn't sure about this whole newbie-me-going-to-Private-Dressage-Barn thing. Lol.

Saturday didn't ride, had a great hike with the family instead. Sunday went out and rode in the paddock-closer-to-the-barn. It was great aside from the few times we cantered and River slammed on his forehand and powered around with his nose on the ground. Racehorse pony needs to learn to pick himself up.

Don't like this Fall Back thing At. ALL. It is practically dark now when I go out to get him, crazy. I thought at first maybe I would ride in the dark, but I'm beginning to chicken out because of the following reasons:
  1. Paddock is grass, uneven, and dark, lights are not nearby. Which wouldn't be so much of a problem except for #2...
  2. River is still very unbalanced under saddle.
  3. River's being unbalanced (and out of shape) shows itself in him being very trippy. Which means that I have to watch every stride to make sure I'm not putting him in a little hole or an old ant hill or whatever, and...see #1. I can't see. And do not aim to imitate L. Williams in this area! Eeks!
  4. River and I are both skittish of being in the dark by ourselves. 
  5. It's cold. 'Nuff said.
So, I dunno. It'll warm up and the days get longer in February-March, perhaps River will get two or three months mostly off. I'm sure he wouldn't mind. We'll still trail ride on the weekends...

8 comments:

  1. I've ridden in the dark before but mostly because it was dusk when I started riding and my eye's adjusted. When I got off I had a 'oh shit, it's dark' moment and I think I just prefer the light :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yeah I wouldn't mind so much if we had good footing

      Delete
  2. Not enjoying the time change either. Really cramping my after work plans! Have a lighted arena though so I have no excuses...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No joke, if I didn't have work this would be easy! Lol

      Delete
  3. I hate that it is dark by the time i get to the barn boo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dark is ick! Although I do love being at the barn after dark when everybody's already ridden and is tucked in for the night...so cozy! :)

      Delete
  4. I'm having the same issues :( At my new barn there are no lights, and I get out of school/work at 5 at the EARLIEST- so it's completely dark when I get there. I went there the other day and scratched Wiz on the nose, but I feel like a terrible mom. I guess I should learn to just get up really really early and ride? Sigh....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, that's me too! And really really early is the only time I have to do homework, so...ugh. I have this feeling we'll be doing groundwork a while, and maybe I'll do some little lateral work or something just at walk?...I dunno.

      Delete