Rode my crazy Thoroughbred bareback in a halter yesterday...with only one rope because I forgot to tie it round to the other side, lol. Just up to the barn, so it's not like I had to steer much, but he was good, even went past the scary white cat after just one circle, and stopped when I asked him to.
Took a while to get him situated so I could get on off the gate, though!
He was super spooky last night (for him) and galloped off without even waiting for his apple treat. Tried to run off before I'd taken off his halter--he got chastised a bit for that one. Weird.
Pondering our under-saddle canter problems and I'm wondering if part of it might be that his initial starting-gate-style lunge throws me backward and then I get behind the motion so I can't influence him at all in the canter, I'm just kind of hanging on. Just got to thinking that his way of starting is a lot like Rhapsody's was--he then just roots down and tries to brace on the bit, while she stayed inverted. Perhaps riding a bit more half-seat in the transition would help. Trying to soften out our trot work might help too, but I've heard (and it's true, for him at least) that trot is the hardest gait for most off-track Thoroughbreds. I'll try today or over the weekend and see...
That's funny you should mention him leaping into the canter and leaving you behind. My horse does that at the trot sometimes, so I got in the habit of grabbing a handful of mane before asking for a trot. Then I rode him the other day for the first time since I cut all of his mane off and reached down to grab some, but there wasn't any lol!! Luckily he didn't do his huge leap so I was fine. I like the idea of starting in the half seat. I bet that would help. :)
ReplyDeleteHaha that would be a surprise! Glad he didn't leap after all! :) I think it must be a "baby" habit...not that River's really young, but he's still green.
DeleteThat could very possibly be it! I might have to use a neck strap when bareback just in case. :)
DeleteThe canter is definitely the hardest for an OTTB to get used to. Good luck with it,
ReplyDelete