Saturday, January 4, 2014

Settling In

Long post, but lots of pictures!

River's continuing to settle in just fine. Yesterday went to feed him, he wouldn't get a drink, but brought him in and after a mild fit about the calves he settled to eating. Hope his shoulder guard gets here soon; the rubs aren't getting worse per say, but they are expanding despite my daily efforts to prevent it, and I don't want to have a hairless horse! :(

Then we went out and walked around and took some pictures: they aren't splendid but they get the idea across!

Inside the boarders' barn. River doesn't have a private stall but they are available if we need them.

From the door to the boarders' barn: looking toward the covered arena


Inside the covered!


Jump field (currently being grazed)

Other jump field and "track" outdoor arena

Stalls by the covered arena, and a chicken!

It was very cold and frosty!

River exploring the covered arena

River was very alert and nervous and had a bit of the fire-breathing-dragon side out, but listened well. We went in the covered arena (only place that didn't have frozen footing!) and did a bit of groundwork, since no one else was riding, just turns on the forehand and hindquarters, and backing up. That really helped him focus and relax, and I took him back out.

Today I went out to get him (he still comes when I call!) and was thrilled to find out that someone had given my horse all his brain back! He was completely calm and relaxed and his normal self again. I was impressed--only been three days!

I fed him outside and he was very good, despite kids screaming in the background, and a little friend who joined us...

Look closely--see anything unusual?


We had a chicken clean-up crew! River was not phased at all.

 He did inform me, however, that I need to start feeding him on a tarp:

Expressing his displeasure that there was some sand that had gotten in his food...



Looking down toward the barns from the back corner of his field

Looking into his field
 
Barns and arena from the back side

Normally I would say we'd be riding by the first part of the week, but it's supposed to get freezing cold (FOUR degrees by Monday night, not counting wind chill--we're all going to die! That's the coldest it's been in seven years down here!), so I don't plan on riding till Wednesday at least, unless I slip in a quick jaunt tomorrow.

11 comments:

  1. GORGEOUS barn!!! LOVE that covered arena! It's huuge!! River is such a good man.

    And ugh, what is with this weather?! We're going into 0 by Monday night up here, with a -20 wind chill! It's the coldest it's been in 20 years. :/ Be safe and stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so excited!! :D

      I KNOW! This weather is insane, it seems like the whole US is freezing this winter! Brrrrrr I'm glad I'm at least somewhat more south. Stay warm!

      Delete
  2. Yuck, cold is coming our way too, it sucks! Stay warm :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate cold!! :( You guys bundle up too--I guess we'll all see each other on the other side! ;)

      Delete
  3. Looks like a WONDERFUL place; so glad you got to move River there!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy this far! He is settling in splendidly too! :)

      Delete
  4. WOW!! What a gorgeous barn!! You guys are going to be so happy there when River settles in and gets used to all the happenings. Yay for all the pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm SO happy with it so far! And really, he's already doing WAY much better with the calves and couldn't care less about the chickens, lol

      Delete
  5. How funny! We also moved this weekend and I posted a "settling in" blog as well! :) Great minds think alike.

    The new place looks great, and the chicken is kind of hilarious!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good grief, how is it I wasn't following your blog?! That's now fixed. :D Hope your settling in goes as well as ours has been!

      The chickens ARE hilarious, I chased the one around in circles trying to keep it from River's food and eventually gave up. :P They don't eat too much, fortunately!

      Delete
  6. Very nice! I miss my indoor! I hope you like your new home :)

    ReplyDelete