Thursday, January 2, 2014

We Moved!!

Yep, to start off the new year, we moved barns today!

Stolen from their website, which I would give you but I don't want random creepers stalking me...lol!

The new place has a small XC course, a covered arena with footing, two outside jump arenas, a grass dressage arena, a round pen, a little outside "track," miles of trails, and lots of hay! Plus it's only 3.5 miles from my house, and even closer to school! SO excited! I've been on the list for it since I got River in June; finally a spot opened up on the first of the year, and I was blessed enough to actually have the money to afford it!! :D

So I got over to our old barn early today to get River. It's really a mixed bag of emotions, because I will miss the people at our old barn so much. It was so small and friendly and you knew everybody. At the new barn there are probably 40-odd boarder horses, plus the lesson horses, so you're not going to be good friends with everyone. But I left on good terms with everyone at our old place, so that is a good feeling. :)

River spent a lot of time doing this as we were waiting for the trailer:
MOOOM I WANTZ TREATZ

Nomnomnom extra hay!!
He got on with just a tiny bit of coaxing, rode well, was reluctant to get off as it's a step-down trailer but did get off eventually. Was very nervous but very good! Turned him out and it seems his pasture buddies are a pretty relaxed bunch--so nice. Saw a couple half-hearted kicks but that was about all. :)

The most terrifying thing about the new place, as far as River is concerned, is the calves.

I don't care for most cows, but calves are cute!
The new place is more of a "farm" atmosphere in addition to a boarding barn, and they have maybe half a dozen calves, plus four smaller ones that live in two stalls in the barn--two of which, may I add, set up a terrific racket whenever they hear or see people. I'm pretty sure River's never seen any kind of cow and the calves freaked him out, lol. He saw them through his stall window and then couldn't do much but just stand and stare at them and be so tense he was practically shaking for minutes on end! Poor fellow.

Eventually he did calm down enough to turn his back on the horse-eating calves, eat his supper (with frequent glances over his shoulder to make sure those calves weren't going to get him), and then go out and hand-graze some--we met one of my old instructors and chatted with her, did a tiny bit of groundwork, ate grass (well River ate grass), and then I turned him back out to eat from his piles and piles of hay.

Told him that all horses should be used to cows (he hasn't even met the chickens yet!), and all the activity and unusual things here would be good for his brain. I'm not sure he agrees... ;)

So we'll be able to ride in almost all weather now, and we have plenty of jumps to play with when we choose to start that, as well as plenty of flatwork opportunities! I'm going to give River several days to settle in and then we'll hopefully start riding! In the meantime I'll see if I can get my own pictures to share with you all! :)

10 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see pictures! Sounds like a cool place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic way to start the new year; I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great way to start 2014! Very excited for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a very cool barn :) Lots of different things and activity like that is really good for horses to be around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I'm telling River--I don't think he believes me yet ;)

      Delete