| River in the snow we had last week! |
I don't know if I mentioned this before, but while River is very good on the ground, and mannerly under saddle (i.e., he doesn't tend to bolt, buck, rear, or otherwise be totally obnoxious), he is VERY GREEN under saddle. He has three gaits (mostly) but that's about all. ;) I discovered that he's had groundwork but very little actual riding since he came off the track, which explains a lot. He doesn't understand lateral work very well, or that he has variations in speed and tempo within a gait, or that when I go into two-point it doesn't mean that he has to win a race, or even (usually) that he can truly back up under saddle. His downwards transitions are rough and often include a lot of circling when he gets his freight-train mindset on (he doesn't run off, he just keeps going!), and he doesn't understand bending, stretching, or using his body much under saddle at all.
I finally got my mind wrapped around the concept that nothing but time and miles is going to fix any of those issues! And some good lessons, of course, but Coach is in New York right now and anyway is not keen on tackling issues that I have tackled myself before (love her!). So now I am officially motivated to go ride the Beastie. I know, I know, it took long enough!
So today I went and rode. Much to River's chagrin, because I gave him some hay while I tacked up before the ride instead of grain (he'd been munching in the pasture, but I thought maybe it would keep him busy...it didn't). So by the time we got into the arena he was quite put out, tossing his head and being quite feisty. He spooked at the chickens, spooked at the gates, spooked at the barrels outside and spooked at I don't know what else. Fortunately his spooks are not frightening, lol. But with a lot of walking all over the place--big circles, little circles, half circles, straight lines, figure-eights, ground poles, etc.--he calmed down very nicely and we ended up doing some trot both ways in addition to all our walking. I focused on engaging my core, stretching up, breathing (always my nemesis when I'm trying to focus!), and pointing my body and energy the way I wanted to go, with very nice results, I'd say. We even had a couple half-decent halts. Afterward, he got his grain and was very calm and relaxed going out to his pasture. Score!
Now I'm more motivated than before. ;) Lunge tomorrow, rest Tuesday, and another ride Wednesday!
Good for you! Ride on! Yesterday and today Lance showed me a different side, the pill….
ReplyDeleteUh-oh! Hope Lance shapes up soon! ;)
DeleteI wouldn't worry about all the baby stuff- especially backing up! When I was younger I never thought anything about backing up except that the horse should do it. But when I was reading "The Elements of Dressage: A Guide to Training the Young Horse" they talk about how backing really is something pretty hard for a horse (because it requires so much self-collection), and you don't really focus on it for a long time. I will work on backing with Wiz on the ground, but rarely ask him to back under saddle. Do you do any lunge work with him in something like vienna reins or the pessoa system? I think that's a great way to help the horse just figure it all out himself without us up there messing things up! ;) Otherwise, yup, nothing but miles- transitions, transition, ,transitions, circles, poles, transitions. Yup. No short cut to it..!
ReplyDeleteBut it sounds like you had a successful ride! Breathing is so hard for me too! haha
Yeah, I'm not too worried, actually I was pretty excited when I found out that he really WAS as green as he felt, because that means that I can theoretically bring him along the way I want! ;) I might try the pessoa system (or maybe Liz/Andrea's "faux-ssoa", lol) on him but I'm not sure about vienna reins. He tends to be really heavy on the forehand, do you think vienna reins might just encourage that?
DeleteFunny you bring up the backing, I was just thinking how I'm not going to drill that because it takes so much physical work from him! And also because he despises drilling anything...do it twice and he's had enough...sigh lol.