Thursday, September 20, 2012

Cogitations on Rhapsody

I'm planning on going out tomorrow for a bit of groundwork time before the team riders come in to get ready for their show on Saturday, and therefore trying to figure out what to do with Rhapsody.

I like her.  I really do.  She is cute and curious and I think she's got a bit of a playful streak too.  But lands I do not know how to catch her.

And maybe that's the problem.  I'm thinking I want to catch her enough that it might seem to be chasing/predatory to her.  Maybe?  When we were just playing in the field with non-demanding time and carrots and scratches, when I wasn't expecting to catch her, she did fine; in fact she did more than fine, she did fantastic.  The exact moment I started thinking If I just do this a bit more, I'll be able to catch her, was the moment she started pulling away.  Then of course last week I went out there intending to catch her and it was a royal disaster. 

I don't know how this will end up.  I feel very foolish being able to walk up to a horse in the pasture, pet her all over, toss the rope all over her, but not be able to catch her.  But I feel even more foolish barely being able to get within arm's length of that same horse for no obvious reason whatsoever.  And after all, it is groundwork she needs, and if I can do that in the pasture same as in the round pen, what difference does it make? 

Well I will try to not try.  I'm going to focus on making this fun, just play, getting acquainted, like it is, after all, supposed to be.  We shall see how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment