So went out on Friday to Rhapsody's pasture with no idea what I would find. The first thing I noticed was that herd dynamics have changed up big-time. Three of the younger fillies have gone (presumably to the racetrack though I don't know for sure) and another mare who came somewhat recently has joined their field. I think that in itself has kind of thrown everyone off in that pasture; no one was quite as curious or interested as they have been before.
The second thing I noticed was that I now have a best friend forever (well as long as the carrots hold out) in the Coach's horse Lass! She will come right up to meet me now that she knows I usually bring treats. Ha silly girl. Of course it doesn't help that she hasn't been worked for a week and a half because of her stiffness/soreness that's come about recently, and she is always more in-your-face when she's not getting her workouts.
Third thing was that I think we are back to the beginning again when it comes to catching. That is good as I would rather go back to the beginning than to keep going downhill as we had been last week. At first Rhapsody wouldn't let me get near her at all, so I just dropped in behind her and followed at a walk a little distance behind when she headed away. Until she stopped, when I would stop also and move away. Eventually she (grumpily) allowed me to come within about 15 feet of her, where I stopped and crouched down and waited. Suffice it to say it took a while, but she did come up and I gave her a treat. This happened two or three times and afterwards I could tell she was more relaxed around me though she wouldn't stay very close for a long period of time. Plus everyone else came up (except for the new girl, who was informed by Boss Mare that she was not to come any closer), which is good for them and I appreciate it.
So overall I find it a good hour spent. I brought the regular halter this time, not the little rope. I can do the rope but it's awkward to lead with, and if I'm going to put all this work into catching Rhapsody "properly" I would rather that she accepts the halter while we're at it. I want a "no brace" catch, which is to say I want her to be okay with it all the way through. I know we can do it; we've gotten close before, but I screwed it up last minute. It will test my skills of being able to read body language but I think it'll teach me a lot too. Bring it on! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment