I have always hated bareback riding.
In the same breath, I've always been insanely jealous of the folks who hardly ride, but delight in riding bareback and somehow manage to stay on.
My bareback episodes have generally consisted of trail rides, grabbing mane, and trying (with more or less success) to post the trot so I don't get bounced to kingdom come. And trying to ride in a saddle whenever humanly possible.
WHY CAN'T I DO IT?!?!?!
A few weeks ago, I discovered. I am not sitting gaits correctly on my horses. Likely never have been. Why nobody ever figured this out and told me how to do it right, I don't know. I guess I faked it well. But I'm not even sitting walk correctly, for goodness' sake. No wonder I can't handle bareback!
So everybody knows (except me, apparently) that when you're riding, your pelvis is supposed to be relaxed and move alternate sides forward and back with the horse's shoulders, same as when you're walking. Goes faster when you're sitting the trot, but same idea. That's the whole basis behind equestrian therapy for handicapped people and what have you. Well actually I did know that. I just didn't apply it. My pelvis, I discovered upon some self-examination a few weeks ago, is stiff and locked up and generally doesn't move at all unless it's in canter.
I did discover, however, that with a bit of thought I can relax the muscles in my seat so that unless it's a very slow walk or very fast trot, I can sit both of those gaits properly. I haven't thought out canter yet, but canter is really my best gait to ride for some strange reason--I think because it's fast enough I don't over-think what I'm doing. Ha. Now I just need to get so that I can relax my seat without thinking about it, because I don't have much time for deep thinking when I'm riding any more!
One of these days, when I find a good project horse that isn't too spooky, I shall teach myself to ride bareback. All gaits. Maybe some jumping too. And I will enjoy it!
No comments:
Post a Comment