Yay for no classes till Monday!! And what better way to start fall break than with a ride?? So today I went off to the barn after my last class for a free ride.
Coach had asked me to ride her Thoroughbred a bit since she (the horse that is) is just getting over some deep-muscle soreness after a bad trim and needs some gentle regular exercise. So we did walk and trot on the grass for 20 minutes or so, while Coach was riding one of her off-track project horses. I love Lass (her horse). She makes me feel like an equine genius even just doing simple flatwork. Haha. Now it helps she was unusually calm and quiet today, but still. So I focused on keeping my legs steady and fixing my posture--a.k.a. not slouching--and if my back's soreness is any indicator, I did pretty good. Ha.
After that we turned the horses out and at Coach's suggestion I went back up and caught the Bay Boy. I was going to ride with her again but since her horse proved hard to catch, she decided to take off early. ;) So the Bay Boy and I had a ride to ourselves while other instructors were getting their lesson kids ready. Overall it went all right. He was spooky--unusual for him--and rather dull off the aids, but otherwise okay. After the first couple canter departs, though--I was working him mostly on transitions since those are his sticky spots--he seemed to get "sour" and was avoiding the bit and trying to throw his head around and buck. He did get a couple good bucks in after slipping on a big canter circle but the slip wasn't my fault this time--he was throwing his head down and not paying attention, so he got unbalanced. Since we were getting worse rather than better, I opted for a trot round without issues in order to quit while we were ahead. Someday I really want to have the time to work with this guy regularly.
Ahh I'm tired. :) The Coach has said I can ride every day during break but I do have to work tomorrow...Friday though I'll be back. Forget Florida, riding is definitely the best way to spend break!
No comments:
Post a Comment