Friday, October 26, 2012

In Which We Finally Leave Home...

Well not really.  Just drove a few miles up the road for a lesson elsewhere.  But it was still kind of exciting! The middle-and-high school IEA team was having a jump lesson at our local equestrian facility and Coach kindly told me I could come too.  So I did of course.  ;) 

I rode Lucky, a little Pony of the Americas that I haven't ridden in forever, since she was sold.  And tried to remember what it's like to ride a lazy pony.  Gah it has been too long.  I could barely get her going well forward for the life of me, forget really in front of my leg!  Ha so that was kind of frustrating especially as we were jumping some bigger (not huge okay, just like going on 20"-2') jumps and every last time we'd get up to a rail she would start looking at it all funny and thinking about stopping.  Cross-rails were okay, but not those verticals!  Sigh...she wasn't like this last I rode her; then she was super eager to jump anything.  Don't know whether it was me or her.  I was exhausted all day so that definitely didn't help matters. 

However!  We didn't actually have any stops although she thought about it a lot, so that was a good victory!  And toward the end she started to go more forward on the flat.  If we'd had more time to remember my Pony Club kicks and how to use a crop, maybe I would have been able to get her more forward over the jumps.  Lol.  ;)  My jumping form was also a bit "rusty," to borrow Coach's word;  I blame that on my general tiredness and stiffness.  I think I need to jump a bit more, maybe jump some more lazy horses!  :) 

I should be going to groom and do warm-up rides at a show this Sunday but I have a Biology field trip.  It would have to be this weekend!  Stupid college!  :P  So I am going to free-ride today instead, provided it doesn't rain.  Chao all and have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment