Thursday, November 15, 2012

Fringe & Rhapsody Work

So I put Fringe over a little jump again last lesson.  She was being supremely lazy which didn't help matters; however I have been having difficulty managing my own energy levels, which doesn't help me much when I need to ride lazy horses!  So we trotted over the baby jump many times and once or twice actually got a jump over it.  Haha.  Coach put her over once or twice and actually managed to get Fringe's feet off the ground both times. 

Ay well I should rather that she be lazy than crazy spooky.  Even got out the crop today and she wasn't much worried by it, at least on the shoulder.  Behind my leg she was a little nervous but got over it quickly.  After half an hour or so of jump practice, we pulled off her tack and I walked and trotted her around the arena bareback.  And she was super good.  She called a lot to the other horses but wasn't worried by the lack of a saddle at all.  Impressive since she's only been ridden bareback once before this (early this past summer).

Then I went off to Rhapsody, who Coach had kept in but hadn't been able to work.  She was a crazy nut having been inside all day, but after a long time of Friendly game in the round pen, she calmed down quite a bit.  Then I worked a bit on moving off direct pressure--she is super sensitive to that; I hope we can make it a good thing--and bending to a stop.  I like to teach all my "babies" to bend to a stop as I'm personally a pretty big fan of the one-rein stop.  No, it's not perfect...but it can sure help!

So we did that a while but then kids started running around climbing trees and horses were going out to the fields and Rhapsody lost focus.  So I went back to Friendly till she calmed a bit, then took her up to the barn, groomed her, and managed to get her out of the barn without killing anyone.  Seriously, I need to come up with some good way to announce to everyone in hearing range that "I'm working with a crazy young horse right now, GET OUT OF MY WAY!"  Ha.  Maybe running over a couple people once or twice would help? Just kidding, I promise...

After that, Rhapsody was entirely un-calm.  So the trip up to the field with Huge Dog (which I've never actually seen but it has a monstrous voice) barking behind the hedge, and the world nearly dark, and hyper pony trying to gallop down the way...was...interesting.  But we didn't die nor did we get hurt.  Then hyper pony decided to run off before I'd finished taking off the halter, which was also...interesting...however I got the sense to let go before she ripped my arms out, and fortunately the (nice) halter fell off of itself.  I have to come up with a way to cure her of that habit!  Any ideas??

Overall happy with the evening though.  And now I shall close this incredibly long epistle and get ready to ride tomorrow!  Hopefully I can catch Rhapsody again and we'll have fewer shenanigans! :)

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a pretty good session with both horses.
    Just wondering though - what did you mean when you said you did friendly with Rhapsody???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! I suppose I should explain better. The "Friendly Game" is a Parelli Natural Horsemanship name/idea, but basically it's just desensitizing. So right now with Rhapsody I'm rubbing her all over with the lunge whip and tossing the end gently over her back/neck/legs/etc. so she gets used to it. Also I played with half a foam pool noodle on Wed., introducing it to her and then rubbing it all over her. I wish I could get some video but don't have a camera...sigh...hope that helps! :)

      Delete