Had lesson on Wednesday this week because it was so terribly cold and windy Monday and Tuesday (leftovers from Hurricane Sandy I believe), and we have only the outdoor arenas, so we cancelled Monday lesson.
So on Wednesday I went over and rode Mr. Wild again. We had some great flatwork at first at walk and trot; I pretty much know how to get him on the bit now and after I get him on the bit I can let the rein out gently and he will stretch down nicely. He even kept himself stretched down a bit from time to time, which is huge for him! He is a master of the ostrich neck. Ha. But there was very nearly no ostrich on Wednesday, even though we were trotting poles and doing circles. Naturally I was very happy about that!
Then we went on to do a very simple, very small figure-8 course. And there is where I lost it. I do not know what happened to my ability to jump. It's just gone! It's immensely frustrating! I guess I wasn't doing as badly as I used to, because Wild wasn't getting squirrelly and wasn't diving out on jumps, but it felt dreadful nonetheless. Maybe it feels worse because now I know how it's supposed to feel. I was behind him, ahead of him, holding him back, releasing too soon, doing everything but riding with him doing what I was supposed to do! Sheesh poor horse. He was very patient with me, thank goodness. And we did have about three good jumps out of the whole time. Two of them were the last line we did, which was a good note to end on.
I think I'm overthinking the whole jumping thing. I'm picking it to pieces and then I have to think about each piece as I'm riding. Just doesn't work. I know how to do it, I know how to do it well. I just have to quit thinking and ride! Ha. :)
On a better note, I rode the Bay Boy a little bit and he was good! No bucking and a very nice, free canter. Yay! So apparently I have not lost all my riding ability; that gives me hope that jumping shall return to me when I start just riding. ;) And I'm supposed to start riding Paradox and Rhapsody again. :) Maybe I will get some pictures. I keep trying but it keeps not working...haha...
No comments:
Post a Comment