Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Rhapsody Week

This last week of break I am designating as my "Rhapsody week" and though I can't really be out there every day (sigh), I'm at least managing to work her three days this week.  So far we are doing really really well!

I went early to lesson on Monday and found Coach had already brought her in (and was quite pleased with herself for doing it too, I must add, lol!).  So instead of trekking 3/4 mile out to the Back of Nowhere pasture where Rhapsody currently lives, I worked her in a groundwork clinic Coach was putting on.  A lot of it was stuff I already knew, but it was nice to have more experienced eyes watching me, and I did learn some new things too.  Then I tacked her up and rode her for my lesson so that if she showed any inclination to do "funny" things, we'd be able to catch them before I'm on my own.  She was rather skittery under saddle, but no major spooks.  We rode walk/trot/canter and even trotted over some ground poles and a little tiny half-crossrail, which she did quite well on considering that she used to trip all over anything on the ground.  Also I got to ride Lucky for one jump, and another girl's new horse, Will, for one jump.  Hehe I think Coach felt she needed to get me over a jump at least a couple times during the lesson!  ;)  It was fun anyway. 

Then today I went back over and caught her myself, after a rather wild time trying to chase off the superbly obnoxious and rather large gelding-that-acts-like-a-stallion that also resides in the Back of Nowhere.  But despite all that she actually came running over to me when I came in!  And she didn't take off for the far corners of the earth when I was chasing Mr. Obnoxious.  Instead I was able to catch her fairly easily and then she followed me happily nearly half the way up to the barn--until the mares came galloping out into their field alongside us and got her all hyper and spooky.  Oh well.  We went up to the barn without any mishap and then I worked her alongside the clinic students again.  This time they were really only doing things we'd already worked on, so I worked with her on lowering her head when I asked, accepting the rope just behind her ears, and lowering her head off light rope pressure behind her ears.  I hope that will help her with haltering; I guess we'll see.  Overall though I was extremely happy with how calm and responsive she was today.  Very nice day of work!

Well my camera battery is dead so no pictures.  Eh I'm going to try and get some more batteries because picture-less posts are boring.  Lol.  Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment