The Boy's foot was doing as expected till Saturday, when we went out in the afternoon to change the bandage and what do we find but a great goopy mess on the heel bulbs underneath everything. Cleaned it up and it appears we had an abscess blow out up there. So I guess there was something going on besides just the small old abscess. Poor fellow, I feel bad he had to wait so long to have it gone at last. I don't feel too horridly bad though, as I did have the vet out and he couldn't find anything besides the old one either. We did what we could.
The Boy, of course, is now feeling greatly better and is quite near sound as far as I can tell (haven't tried trotting him out yet...I'll probably do that tomorrow). Provided the abscess drains out in time, we're hoping to turn him out Tuesday evening. I'm sure there will be a great party on both our counts...break out the carrots! ;) Poor boy is bored straight out of his mind in the stall. I take him out every day to hand-graze, but it's just not the same!
I also tried my hand at a maintenance sort of trim on his left front today (the one the vet hadn't already trimmed down). Trimmer/farrier won't be out for another week at least and he's going on seven weeks since his last trim, so he needed a bit of help. Was rather freaked out to touch his feet, but it went all right. Wasn't super pretty :( , he had quite a bit of cracking going on that limited the pretty-full-ness, and I being an
Yay for blown abscesses! :-)
ReplyDeleteMy gelding has just completed 6 weeks of recuperating from an abscess. Now that The Boy's has blown, I hope that he will be at 100% very soon.
ReplyDeleteSix weeks?! I can't imagine. Hope your boy is feeling better now!
DeletePoor fella. He will feel better now that the abscess has blown out. Fingers crossed he heals fast.
ReplyDelete