I called him while walking out to the paddock today and he immediately left his buddy and started walking, then trotting, then galloping up to me! Aw, love it. He's so much more demonstrative than any of the other horses I've worked with--well, he is now. When I first got him he wasn't. But he's coming around. Today was our two-month anniversary! ;)
| Noms. I have to put his pan inside another huge pan so I can clean up after him! |
We have our schedule down pretty well now. I soak his beet pulp while I go get him and hose off his legs and feet (and the rest of him if he's sweaty); then he comes in and eats while I groom him, dry off and pick out his feet, and fly spray him.
Eventually, we'll ride after that. For now, when he's done chowing down and licking out both pans, we go for a walk sometimes, and sometimes he just goes back to his pasture.
Today we went for a walk up by the pastures and into the woods. All by ourselves, but he was very good. He does crowd me when he gets a little uncertain, but he only shoved into my space when we were actually in the woods. I'm not sure he's spent much time on the trail at all. He'll get over it. No spookies or anything.
Forgive the dirty face--he apparently thinks a mud pack is the new "in" look.
| Blurry pony--hard to take pictures when you're walking! |
![]() |
| Pony is a champion eater. |
| See?! |

He's looking good, Briana! :D
ReplyDeleteThanks! The picture makes him look a wee bit fatter than he is (why do you think I chose it? ;) but he really is improving.
DeleteHe's looking so good!
ReplyDeleteJust ordered new boots for Lance; I'm returning the Cavallos.
Thanks! You'll have to let me know how that goes with Lance. I have some folks in my barn that have the EasyBoot Trails (quite similar to the Cavallos) that I might be able to try on River if they fit, but I'm interested to see how the Renegades do for you guys.
DeleteHes looking great :) How cool that he came running up to you - what a sweetie.
ReplyDeleteI'm just kind of sort of pretty much falling hopelessly in love with him, lol. :)
DeleteLooking good!
ReplyDelete