Sunday, September 8, 2013

Always Learning





Had someone comment on my Facebook today saying I needed to get a school horse so their daughter could take lessons from me...aww. I feel the love! :)


Really though, I have this conundrum these days. I am at the point where I could give lessons to beginners--and when they got too close to my level for my comfort, I could happily hand them off to Coach!

But I really don't feel like I could or should, even if I had the horse to do it (River would be great for intermediate and up, but he's got too much "go" for beginners in my opinion). It doesn't matter that I've ridden for close to eight years regularly, ten off and on. It doesn't matter that I've ridden a great many of the problem ponies in the book, more or less successfully, English and Western, sale horses, school horses, and privately owned horses. And all this is not because I have yet to show or compete. I'm of the opinion that competitions only demonstrate a tiny part of what you might be.

It's because I still have so much to learn. SO much. I feel like I'm just scratching the tip of the iceberg that is horses, and I love it, but the thing is, I'll always have so much to learn! I love that, it's one of my favorite things about training (anything, but at the moment horses)--you never, ever quit learning, or at least you shouldn't. But it doesn't make me feel qualified to "teach" anything!

So I responded to the comment saying that said daughter should "come and meet" River anyways. ;) She could sit on him anyway...that's enough to get the Horse Bug going if it's in there! Which is always my goal for us humanoids! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment