Thursday, September 26, 2013

Best Kind of Medicine

 .....as we all know, is pony medicine!

I suppose I probably shouldn't go on a rant here about how much I don't like school at the moment. Fall is finally here and I have been looking outside at things like this:

Through my window, it's sunny and blue sky!

But instead of going out and riding all day, my life has been 16 credits of class time, 15-16 hours of work, and 25 hours of field experience. Want to know what that looks like? This:

Books. Papers. No pony. Ugh.
 However fortunately my pony needs to eat! And even more fortunately I have a wonderfully supportive family that understands my immediate need to rush out to the barn when I get out of class/work/etc. every day around 5! So this week we have actually gotten two, count them, TWO rides in. Plus groundwork and lots of eating.

Sunday we went on a trail ride, all by our two selves. I tried to take a picture beforehand but this is what I got:
Whatz that mom, feeeed meeeee

Eventually he did stand still and look sufficiently decent, so here you have it, the OTTB: The Ultimate Crossover Vehicle!

We rock the mismatch trail horse/hunter pony look.
Except said "hunter pony" needs to be a wee bit fatter to really fit in in the hunter ring...however I'm personally quite happy with his weight and for the sake of his joints don't want him too fat!

Today we did hill trot sets! Not too many as the poor lad is quite out of shape (not even going to mention his rider), but we enjoyed ourselves and proved that until the sun starts going down really early, we can indeed still ride during the daylight. Woo! River is really a trooper about going out by himself--so proud of him. Rather proud of both of us at the moment, actually. ;)

Got an exciting (horsey) opportunity coming up on Sunday, so may or may not end up actually riding my buddy. Maybe we'll ride tomorrow, though; and you can be sure I'll be getting my River therapy every day, one way or the other!

3 comments:

  1. Yay for riding!! I'm no hunter rider, actually just a trail/ranch rider, but I think his weight looks perfect! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a hunter either, lol. I just know what they like and he doesn't look like it--but I don't mind at all :)

      Delete
  2. Hes looking really good :) Super adorable. Sounds like hes going well for you.

    ReplyDelete