Monday, September 30, 2013

First Bareback Ride...

Sunday evening. :) Went something like this...

Friend: Want to go trail riding with me?
Me: ARE YOU KIDDING ME I NEVER GET TO RIDE WITH ANYONE!!!  Yes.
Me: [takes River to barn] Now buddy we are going for a little ride before we eat.
River: Urhm, I don't think you asked me about this.
Me: Bridle, saddle pad...saddle? Um, ah, saddle? I don't know...want to ride bareback...don't have tights...jeans rub saddle...Bareback. With a saddle pad because your back is still all spiny!
River: Yes, I keep it that way so you don't ride on it--what are you doing?!
Me: Laying across your back to see if you're going to freak out. Now calm down.
River: WHAT are you doing.
Me: Bridle!
River: I'M A GIRAFFE!! Oh never mind.
[bridle goes on. We walk outside.]
Me: Now let's see if I can get onnnn [enter 5'3" me trying to scramble aboard 16 hh pony from a very short mounting block: reason 101 to train your horse to stand still for mounting...] There we go.
River: Um what is this?! Who are you?! What are we doing?? I-am-going-to-walk-very-fast-somewhere-surely-that-will-FIX IT!!
 Me: La la la you aren't too bad to ride bareback.
*Meets friend, who is walking*
Friend: So Chico has a stone bruise, won't be able to ride.
River: I TOLD you this was a bad idea!

We went for a little short ride anyway, up our conditioning hill. No pictures--sadness. But it was fun, and he was great!

2 comments: