Friday, October 18, 2013

In Which We Have EARS!!

Well I had been jealous of everyone else's lovely trail photos, especially Saiph who has a whole park across the street from her barn and has been thoroughly enjoying it this fall! So yesterday the expensive trimmer-who-I'm-not-sure-how-much-he-actually-knows was out and I wanted to avoid him--what better way than to go off on a long trail ride!

And I even managed to get a set of ears in my picture!

The really shocking thing is that he stood still long enough for me to take this!
Hah, you can kind of see just how fuzzy he is in this picture. Anytime it gets much above 60, he is sweaty now! His ears look a little "questioning" here but that is because I asked him to stand still while I took the pic. Usually they are straight forward. :)

The really awesome thing is that this whole ride was...wait for it.....BAREBACK. I've historically been a terrible bareback rider--well I can officially say that is now history! We even went across the creek, which is a not-too-bad drop into the creek and then a terrible long, muddy scramble out. It feels like this...

Shamelessly stolen from the Renegade hoof boots website...anybody want to buy River a pair?

.....but muddy. And somewhat shorter. I'll have to get a picture sometime. Anyways we came out the other side of that unscathed too! I may or may not have grabbed mane and left him to figure it out on his own...

And no spooks and no silliness, just a nice forward marching walk the whole time. He tried trotting a couple times but I informed him I didn't want to trot bareback with his bony spine. We were out for about 45 minutes and it was so much fun. I told River maybe we would go into endurance after all--he could probably walk faster than the other horses can trot! ;)

We came back and discovered I had committed the unpardonable sin--I hadn't soaked his beet pulp already, so he had to wait.

MOOMMM I'M DYYYIIIINNGGG......
He was not pleased. He forgave me quickly though once the required foods were in front of him. :)

His feet are so much better from when I first brought him home, it's crazy. That he can do all that, and not be sore afterwards, is just unreal. So happy.

10 comments:

  1. AWESOME!!! Yeah, you're braver than I am: I don't think I'll be attempting a bareback trail ride anytime soon. :) That's a nice ears shot! TBs can make nice trail horses-they have a natural tendency to like it; I've heard of them doing endurance. Technically any fit horse should be able to do LDs (25-30 miles; by endurance terms LD isn't considered endurance per se, but it still riding for a significant distance). And if you really want Renegades, you can get used, functional boots for half the price of a new pair through Mel over at http://www.bootsandsaddles4mel.com/. She'll help you with the fitting. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well your girl is still a bit spookier than River so I don't blame you! :) I really need to find some folks around here that know something about LD/endurance rides...River loves the trails and the conditioning would be good for him any way we go. And YAY for good inexpensive boots! Thanks!! :D

      Delete
  2. Woohoo!!! Love bareback trail rides. :) I'm currently only a trail rider-sad face, Ranch Pleasure classes shall wait for us-and I love riding around bareback. :) Because my horse has the worst gait known to man I don't really like bringing him out on the trails, full on bareback, but I do like running around the pastures bareback. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eh now, trail riding is sometimes harder than it looks! Bareback is fun when you can stay on :)

      Delete
  3. All I ever used to do was ride bareback, but that's been so long ago. Now I figure my horse would not appreciate so much weight (mine) concentrated on two "pin bones" (mine) -- ha!

    So glad you and River have made so much progress all around in such a short time. May your partnership last many years!

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is obviously so hungry and starving in that last picture! Yay bareback rides :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was nearly dead. In fact, so nearly dead that he almost had to eat the feed room door to stay alive. :P Haha!

      Delete
  5. Quit starving that poor horse! j/k he's obviously well spoiled :-)

    ReplyDelete