Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Three Babies

Sooo, promised an update on my new projects! Well I don't have any pictures (I know, shame shame), but here is the back story! 

They belong to a private school for boys with ADD/ADHD and/or behavior problems. I found them by responding to an ad on my college job board for "volunteer horse training and maintenance." Called because I couldn't imagine anyone just posting a random ad for such things, and because I couldn't imagine anyone else picking them up as a project at this time of the semester. Then discovered that there were three babies--and I mean baby babies, the oldest is barely three, the youngest right about a yearling--two of which were (still are, but for a limited time!) stud colts. And there's nobody there who knows anything about horses period, let alone baby horses. Woowweee, fun fun fun.

So a week ago Sunday was my "eval" trip, to see if I thought I could handle this or if it was quite beyond me. Turns out there is one kid at the school that knows a little bit about horses in general and has been working with them. Mostly consisting of giving them treats and petting them and getting them used to halters/picking up feet/etc. Not a bad start, except that now they have NO concept of staying out of one's personal space, or doing anything else in fact except eating. The filly (oldest and most definitely the boss) will tie and lead (sort of, except when she doesn't) and usually deal with having her face pulled into all kinds of contortions with the halter and lead-rope-reins (again, except when she doesn't), but the colts won't do much unless the others are nearby, and don't do a whole lot even then.

But none of them are dangerous, so I said sure, I'll come up once a month or so and help you as long as the boys are gelded and someone's willing to work with them when I'm not there. Will be interesting! I won't be getting anywhere unless this kid, J, and his friend are willing to join in and do the footwork, so we'll see. First day we worked on moving off pressure and handling scary things appropriately. Now we are taking some video of River so they can understand what is supposed to be and to help them remember somewhat of how to get there. Though the Beast isn't perfect, he's pretty good these days, and demonstrates the need for all these skills quite well--nothing like getting run over by a 1200-lb. critter to convince you that your horse does need to learn to move when you tell him to...

He is not impressed by the videoing--thinks it's eternally boring. Lol. I did get his feet trimmed this week, though, and he is sounder than ever before, even on the little (quarter- to half-inch) gravel. Woot! 

2 comments:

  1. Wow, should be interesting... But hopefully really good for the boys, assuming no one gets hurt, which is always the danger with horses that don't understand personal space. But I also think it's good to learn how to be assertive with a 1,000 pound animal- teaches you confidence and assertiveness in your own life. I've always wanted to work with horses and "problem" juveniles, so that's really neat you get to do that. I wish I knew where you went to school and such! (if you'd like to privately message me my e-mail is llyle88@gmail.com!) And yes, you can move into our barn ;) "jump all the things" is our team mantra, so you'd fit right in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, my thoughts exactly...I love love the idea, it's what I've always wanted to do, so I hope it works out! (I'll message you also :)

      Delete