Sunday, March 9, 2014

Face-plant!

Friday we were going to have a nice bareback trail ride and try out our new bareback pad, that I got over Christmas and haven't tried out since. I even figured out how to attach the camera to the pad, and took some nice pretty ear pictures to show you, like this:



and this...



...and this! Can you tell I was having fun with ear pictures?? ;)

Pony has crazy mane.
He was being pretty feisty and full of himself, but not too bad, so we kept on into the woods. Then I had to get off in the woods to adjust the bareback pad (which will need some serious renovations before it's really usable, it slips awfully. Not impressed so far), and get back on. Getting back on a 16+ hh dinosaur when you're only 5'3 on a good day is not fun. I vaulted up on my stomach, got half over--and he started moving off. Except then he decided he didn't like this awkward weight on his back and started trotting...then he started cantering...then I decided that despite my distaste for bailing, I was going to come off sooner or later and I'd better get off before he started bucking or tripped or was otherwise stupid. So I bailed. :( And face-planted into the dirt, haha it was not the most graceful dismount!

Then my dearly helpful horse decided he'd had enough of me and marched off down the trail on his own. I got up (after making sure I was all in one piece) and followed but he broke into a trot and disappeared. So I had a nice walk through the woods practicing my tracking skills till I finally got down to his pasture and met the volunteer kids getting ready to feed--they saw him over by his buddies' fence before I did, and caught him for me, while kindly making sure I was okay.

Update as of yesterday's lunge is that the pony is much sounder than the person, haha. He is perfectly fine, while I am sore from my torso all the way down my right leg. We would ride today anyway except that he broke my only pair of reins, so I'm stuck unless I want to go all ghetto and get some rope reins from TSC to use while my order from Smartpak or Dover comes through (which I might just do, we are not against being ghetto over here, haha)!

Because I really still want to get some canter video!!

All in all, a good reminder not to do stupid things even when it is my horse. I get lazy and this is what happens. Now the pony is going to get boot camp when it comes to mounting, and maybe we'll have a lesson to help instill the stop button. He has a perfectly fine gas pedal (sometimes too fine), it's the brakes we struggle with!

5 comments:

  1. Glad you are OK! Aside from the faceplant, I gotta say it is a pretty funny story. I can just see your horse marching off solo down the trail. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty funny actually, after I figured out neither of us was hurt! :)

      Delete
  2. Oh, sorry about the remount disaster! Glad you are okay. While I love the idea of bareback pads, I have never seen or used one that is designed well. ALL of them slip. I think a breast collar would help a lot if there were rings to attach one, and all them need a better girth design….

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thoughts exactly after this last escapade...I'm going to be seeing if I can figure out how to attach some D-rings to this one; I think that would be a big help!

      Delete
  3. sounds unpleasant... but glad you made it out ok and practiced a bit of your tracking skills!

    ReplyDelete