Well I think I said the Fringey is moving on to the junior/beginner riders. This is good, it's what we wanted, it's what we were heading for (Barn manager still thinks I ought to get her jumping, haha, but she's quite sore at the moment so can't do much in that respect).
Hoowwwever I miss the little girl! Lol. Starting with new horses is exciting but it's not the same as working with one you already know. Went out to see if I could catch Rhapsody and probably could have caught her right off but decided I was just going to try to build some trust instead. So focused on coming up, getting grain, petting, more nibbles, more petting, backing off. Last time I did try to toss the rope around her neck, intending to pull it right off, but I guess I went too quickly on that. She decided that was a bad idea and spooked away and stayed there. By then it'd been nearly an hour out in the field with the girls and there was a storm coming in and I was nearly out of goodies, so I just left it as it was. I'd have liked to end on a better note, but such as we have, we have. If I had her by herself, or if I could get out there more often than twice a week, I'd probably make better progress. I don't want to just make her be caught; I can do that. I want her to be okay with it. She doesn't have to come running to me, though that would be great. Just be able for me to walk up--even if I have to bring a treat with me--and stand nicely while I touch her and/or toss the rope around her neck and/or put a halter on (we don't even try for the halter these days though I did have it with me). Maybe I'll start coming early before lesson and playing with her a bit in the field.
Then another girl had already caught Rusty and ridden him so I took him down to the round pen and did some most basic of groundwork (not even longeing yet, just Friendly and moving off pressure) to try to get a feel for him before it started raining. (Oh for a covered arena!) Anyway only spent maybe ten minutes down there but learned he is head/poll-shy and though he will move his hips away from pressure nicely, his front end is a whole different beast. Also he doesn't like my stick. So just worked with my hands today. I wonder if he might be sore somewhere in his wither/shoulder/front area as he wasn't just resisting pressure today, he also jerked his head around as if to nip me when I asked him to yield his shoulder. But he is a very "closed" horse mentally/emotionally so I don't know what he might do if he doesn't like something. That is, honestly, what worries me about having the junior riders on him. He does what you tell him right now, but you wonder what might happen if he reached his threshold. Well maybe we'll find out. Or maybe we'll get him to relax. The latter would be better!
No comments:
Post a Comment