On to the challenge! I can't believe I'm actually posting every day so far!
11. Critique your horse’s conformation.
![]() |
| Taking confo pictures when you're alone is v.e.r.y. h.a.r.d., so here is his sale picture! |
I am not all that great at conformation so feel free to chime in and say what you see!
His back is a bit long, not too bad for a Thoroughbred though. He could be more uphill, though he's not terrible; his shoulder and neck look heavier than his hind end. Hind end is a bit weak.
His shoulder is pretty good, a bit straight but not bad. As far as neck and whatnot, I am clueless on that so have nothing to say--lol!
His legs are okay, he tends to toe out all around though a good trim job usually evens him out pretty well. He paddles a bit up front and his hind legs are a bit cow-hocked, not terrible though. He's been pin-fired on both sides of both fronts, and has an old sequestrum (fully healed) on the left front. Pasterns might be a teeny bit long, but are well sloped. He has a good depth of girth and wide ribs. His feet are (FINALLY!!!) really amazing, especially for a Thoroughbred. Did I mention he was crunching over big gravel like no big deal the other day?? And his head is adorable! :)
And I want those adorable dapples back! Where'd they go?! I also want His Fatness back, though I'm sure he would say that if I'd feed him 5 lb. of food twice a day, he'd fatten up just fine...
| Trail ears!! |
Trail rides! Especially when he can trot/canter. He loves loves loves it but we haven't done a whole lot
because of his feet. One of these days we'll get back with it! I'm also hoping that he'll enjoy jumping, but we'll see...
| I hatez bathz... |
13. Favorite spa day products.
River abhors baths and being wet in general, so I haven't given him any--a rinse down when it's hot but otherwise not much. His "spa" days are typically just a really good brushing and a massage. He does love his massages!
14. Three best things about your horse.
1. His brain! He has such a solid, thoughtful mind and has only given me one big spook so far--usually he just crouches, stops and stares, or takes a few sideways steps. When he does stop and give something the hairy eyeball, I can usually just sit there and wait till he's ready, and in a minute or two he will start taking steps towards it on his own, pausing every few steps to make sure it's not going to eat him, till he can put his nose on it. Then he's fine. I still ride super defensively whenever he sees something and tenses up, but one of these days he'll persuade me he's not a freaking-out kind of horse!
2. His "try." He tries so hard to be good, which sometimes works against us because he gets so anxious when he's not sure what to do or what's going on. But as long as I can be patient and gently direct him in whatever we're doing, he usually will "get it" and then he will do his absolute best to do it again whenever he thinks I want it!
15. Favorite picture of your horse.
| Handsome man |

Thought I'd chime in with the confo! :) He has a nice hock set, looks like a bit of a straight shoulder which could cause him to have issues with getting collected right off the bat or make him have a bit of a rougher ride, nice neck, cute head! I really like his conformation!
ReplyDeleteThanks, the picture doesn't show his shoulder all that great, I'm thinking it might be more sloped than the pic makes it look because he doesn't have a rough ride AT ALL...maybe this spring I'll get some decent new confo shots!
DeleteIts so nice when horses love trail riding too :) So cute how River loves water :)
ReplyDeleteI love it, so I'm glad he does too! Bodes well for an XC session or hunt sometime in the future, too! ;)
DeleteUnflappable is a great quality. Miles is that way too!
ReplyDeleteIt's amazing, he is probably one of the calmest horses on the place as long as his routine is in order! Love it!
Delete