Sunday, December 22, 2013

Saturday Snaps: Poor Coach

Just back. Awesome donkey face.
 
Saturday I was dying to ride so we went on a little bareback ride around the top of the pastures and back through the woods. Solo, as usual, and a storm blowing in (it actually rained a little while we were out). 

And a horse just back from six weeks off. Yeah, I know, recipe for disaster....BUT he only had one spook, just as we were starting! Besides that he was alert but very good--I remembered to talk to him the whole way and it really seems to help. 

Also his feet! They are sooo much better and he is learning to pick them up and maneuver around and over things in the trail instead of just shuffling/plowing straight through! I probably will still get him snap tested for Lyme when the vet's out next, but yay! 

Poor Coach heard of this escapade via Facebook and promptly informed me I should not be trail riding solo (she is literally worse than my mother when it comes to safety). Well, I know I shouldn't, but if I only rode or trail rode when other people were around, I'd never ride, ever. I've literally only been able to ride once with other people in the over-six-months I've been here. Dangerous, perhaps...but I carry my phone and my family knows to come looking for me if I don't show up on time. Besides, everything involving a horse is dangerous. ;)

And maybe if I do enough frightening things on my own, she'll be persuaded to start her own place where she can personally rein me in... ;)

3 comments:

  1. Wow, I can only dream of bareback riding at the moment, with the wibbles that Rio has! We need to do more things on our own, as he's a bit of a wimp when he's on his own, so got to try and get him a bit braver when no other ponies are about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw I'm sure he will grow out of a lot of it, you'll be there before you know it! :) I spent all last year riding totally green babies, so I know what it's like--it's still a bit unreal to be able to actually trust my horse not to freak out on me and run away to the next county!

      Delete
  2. I only ever trail ride (or ride at all) solo. Mostly because I have no other choice. As long as you are being safe and carry your phone I think its fine :)

    ReplyDelete