Friday, July 6, 2012

Coming In

She's coming to me! 

Okay that is the exciting thing from today's groundwork session, that and the Triumph Over the Evil Tractor, which I shall write about later.  :)  The Fringey does not really like to come in to people's space.  Which is nice because she's never running all over you.  But even when you ask. . . she never comes; just stands there and looks at you.  Seems to reflect a bit of her insecurity about people in general.  Today we were doing some free lungeing/circling game at liberty down at the round pen and I had asked her to stop and turn in; however she only about half turned and was being somewhat stubborn, and me having left my lunge whip in the center of the arena (forgetful as usual), I couldn't push her rear out without physically nudging her over which I didn't want to do at the moment.  So I decide to try this over again and turn around to head back for the whip.  And what does she do but fall in and start following me to the center!  Whoa, wait, forget whip!  Good horse! 

Lol, strange things happen from mistakes.  She came in several times thereafter, usually not all the way (unless I turned and walked away and simultaneously clucked at her.  Guess she gets that that means "move."  We'll try and phase it out so she understands the body language as well), but it doesn't matter as on Tuesday she wouldn't come in to either me or the Coach, and today she is coming. 

Plus yes, we saw the Evil Tractor, which had not only its tractor-ie self, but also its forklift attachment raised way up high, and a trailer; and with some walking around, looking at the tractor, turning to see an escape route, and general practice being calm, we learned that said Tractor just drives on by and doesn't do anything dangerous.  Without any bolting or craziness.  Very productive 45 minutes, altogether.  :)  And now we are cleared to canter, officially!

No comments:

Post a Comment