Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Five Day Challenge: Day 2

6. Favorite equestrian book and movie
Loved Marguerite Henry growing up, especially King of the Wind! Haven't read it for a long time though.

Not much a movie person, not even sure I've watched any real equestrian movies.

7. Most common riding misconception
Random one I've been running into lately: "YOU?! ride/work with horses/have been a camp wrangler/own a horse?!" Mostly because I'm small, I think (I'm about 5'3 and 100 lb on a good day). People seem astonished that I'm not a 6' cowgirl with spurs and a ten-gallon hat. Really amusing!

8. 2 riding strengths and 1 riding weakness
Strength #1: I'm usually pretty patient. Especially when it doesn't involve my horse. Ha! But really, I can work through just about anything with someone else's baby. With mine...I'm still pretty good, I don't usually get mad or blow up at him or around him, but I do get impatient a whole lot faster. I'm working on it as he lets me know pronto when I'm behaving inappropriately!

Strength #2: I love the babies! I guess this is a strength...haha...dunno whether I'm extremely very good with them, but I do love 'em.

Weakness: Motivation. In everything. Haha. I struggle hugely with self-motivation; even telling someone else that I'm going to do something is very little motivation for me if I wake up and decide I don't want to. It's definitely my biggest weakness and something I am always trying to figure out a way to overcome!

9. Least favorite thing about horses/riding
Finances, for sure, and the time. Especially being in college, finding the money and the time to take care of a horse is not easy, especially not when your family's already on one income. I'm very grateful for my grandparents' generosity that allowed me to take lessons and now to have a horse! I'm also grateful for my three part-time jobs, but man it makes it hard to find time to ride...

10. What do you feed your horse?
AM:
-2-3 flakes hay, plus pasture

Yumm, fooodsss...
PM: (need to get weight for his foods)
-1 1/2 scoop beet pulp
- Full scoop plain oats
- 2 cups rice bran
- About 1/4 cup oil
- 2-3 flakes hay, and pasture

Still tweaking this for winter...really trying to keep him on a low-NSC diet for his feet and his ulcer-prone-ness, but it's hard to find a low-starch, low-sugar feed sold nearby!

7 comments:

  1. King of the Wind started my love affair with Arabians when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Marguerite Henry books! I never read the one you mentioned, but I love Black Gold, Misty, and Born to Trot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never read Black Gold or Born to Trot, but Misty is so sweet!

      Delete
  3. I LOVED Marguerite Henry's books too! King of the Wind and Mustang: Wild Spirit of the West. One of my goals in the near future is to camp on Assateague Island to see the wild ponies.

    Low starch feeds to check out: Seminole Wellness Perform Safe (high fat, low starch pellet), Triple Crown Low Starch (moderate fat, low starch, makes their coats so shiny!), Buckeye Safe n Easy (high fiber, low starch), Buckeye Grow N Win (low starch ration balancer; I mix it with Buckeye Ultimate Finish 25 fat pellets and her chopped forage. You could mix into River's beet pulp), Tribute Kalm N EZ (low starch, high fat, high fiber). Let me know if you need more suggestions. :) I've used all of the above except Tribute, but have heard great things about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Camping on Assateague sounds like SO much fun!

      Thanks for the suggestions! The trouble here is finding somewhere that sells them. We have TS and a little local place and that is about all within 20+ miles and a city. Grrr...I am thinking about calling up the little place though and seeing if they could get a better feed in if I promised to buy it. ;)

      Delete
  4. How could I forget Marguerite Henry?! I LOVED King of the Wind growing up!!

    ReplyDelete