Sunday, December 1, 2013

New Clothes!

So, a week or so ago (or I guess it was almost two weeks, good grief the time flies), we had an early cold snap, with rain and nastiness.

River got to come into the barn and roll in his shavings...

Yes, that's a bar of saddle soap sitting on the ledge...
He was happy for the first night, not so happy for the second. Fortunately it was only two nights and two days of really cold and rain; after that it was cold but no rain, so I let him out.

But that and his iffy condition--he was looking great coming through October, but he's lost some weight since the winter started--caused me to go a'blanket shopping.

And they finally came Saturday!! (when it was almost 60, of course...) So I gleefully waltzed out to the barn today, when I actually had time, to try them on. And take them off again because it was too warm to leave them on.

He got a light sheet and a warm liner, so I can layer him up if he needs it, and because I got a fantastic deal on the liner, so I couldn't pass it up. ;) So photo spam! Sorry for the less-than-amazing pictures...

Hallo, I am Mr. Model Horse. Are we done yet? (Yes he looks like an overgrown pony with that mane, but eh I don't care at the moment...)

For realz Mom, where's my carrotz?

I will put on my pretty face so maybe this will be over sooner...

MOM STOP IT ALREADY!! (you can't see but he's starting his head bobbing/weaving that almost never shows up now, just because he's bored and anticipating his treats)

Need to loosen the belly straps a bit on the turnout, besides that they fit pretty good. I'm glad I read the reviews that said they run large, because I ordered a whole size down for him and I wouldn't want them any bigger! Happy so far, they are Defender brand which I haven't seen used before, but seem to be pretty good quality, especially for the price. I will do a review when I've had the chance to see how they fare in the pasture. If he can keep them in one piece for a reasonable time out there, and they don't rub too badly, I will be impressed...his buddies play hard!

Had to throw hay to the pasture horses tonight, so looped his lead over my shoulders and he followed me out, waited while I grabbed a new bale, and munched hay while I tossed it to the other horses. How I got such an amazingly-minded Beastie is quite beyond me. :)

10 comments:

  1. Ooh, that green looks good on him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Green's our color, before getting him I was *NOT* into green at all but sadly now I can't resist how good it looks on him! :P

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I'm more excited about his new blankets than any new clothes I might get...haha

      Delete
  3. Thanks! Hopefully they stay in one piece! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks! I think so too but I'm a bit biased ;)

      Delete